Monday, October 5, 2009

Afghanistan

I wish I had more time to discuss and study this article and this issue, as it brings back a lot memories of things I learned in college. Unfortunately, at the moment, I do not have time but wanted to share the article anyways. Maybe later when my books from college are unpacked again, and I have time to study the issue I will. As for now here are my thoughts:

I knew from the start Obama would have no idea what to do with the wars overseas. He had no experience in that field and that is one of the reasons this intrigues me so much. I do not know what would be a better option in the end, more men or just more focused attacks on the al Qaeda. But I feel that more men would be good, and doing both at the same time would be ideal (is it even possible?). Decreasing the amount of men would be the worst. I pray though that the White House is telling the truth when it say pulling it out is not an option. And I pray that Obama does not let public opinion stop him from doing what is necessary to win over there.

I agree with the article that some mistakes were made during Bush's term with the war. I liked Bush enough, but he was not perfect. I feel though, that we have not been and are not at a giving up point in Afganistan. And winning the war in Afganistan would probably be a big help with us in Iraq.

In defense of all presidents, fighting this type of war is new for our country, and it may be good to give any president room to make mistakes in this area. Fighting terrorists is not like fighting your average war against a country, nor are countries that have dealt with terrorists for many years that successful with it. But with that said, there are some mistakes that would not be forgivable, such as giving up and leaving.

I just hope Obama begins to realize that he can't do this on his own; that he needs the Generals, and the other military officials, by his side to help win in Afghanistan and Iraq. I hope his huge ego does not get in the way.

Well if anybody has any thoughts about this article, or has more intelligent knowledge and thoughts, please share. I would love more insight.

No comments:

Post a Comment